Uber’s membership program follows what we call, the Amazon Prime formula.
Prime Formula = ANCHOR BENEFIT + 2 or more complementary benefits.
In the case of Prime, the ‘anchor benefit’ is free shipping/ often same-day delivery.
Complementary benefits include access to Prime video, music, etc.
Breaking down Uber’s subscription strategy, membership to Uber One looks like this:
For $9.99 per month or an annual price of $99.99, Uber One includes:
- Benefit: 5% off eligible rides and 5% off delivery orders on food, grocery, alcohol, and more.
- $0 Delivery Fee on $15+ orders and $30+ grocery orders
- Priority service with top-rated drivers on rides
- $5 in Uber Cash on eligible deliveries if latest arrival estimate (shown after an order is placed) is wrong
- Exclusive access to perks, special offers, and promotions
Herein lies another case study to support the continued evolution of paid loyalty, where points programs give way to fee-4-VIP membership.